Thursday, November 29, 2012

Last Blog



The two NPR recordings and transcripts that I listened to and saw caught my attention just by the title. I heard catchy music and sound bites in both of the recordings. And I knew that this is the kind of material I would need to use in my own audio essay. What I liked about these news bits was simple, they were entertaining. Both made me laugh at the absurdity of actually purchasing all of the items in the “12 Days of Christmas” song and that Canadians booed the fellow Canadian, Justin Beiber. Now the stories by themselves are silly, but how the speaker’s managed to catch my attention and keep me entertained was what I knew I wanted for my audio essay, but since my subject doesn’t have a “ha-ha” atmosphere about it, I’m just going to have to try much hard to not bore any readers. What I also noticed about these pieces was that they did a short introduction and then got to the point. They managed to be entertaining while informative and then signed off. I find it very usual to come to this website and get ideas from the recordings and transcripts. I know that these will be very helpful, when it comes down to finishing up my own recording.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d7/National_Public_Radio_logo.svg

I’m glad I came to this Wednesday’s workshop. Mr. L. really helped me shape my transcript/audio into a better paper/recording. For my audio essay I asked my two aunts and my dad, all fellow alumni, to answer some questions.  My first draft consisted of me asking questions and my family members replying, but when we peer edited in class, Mr. L. helped me with the analytical portion of my essay. He told me what I could put in certain places and what I could take out. My first draft was four pages long and I knew when I was listening to the recordings of my family members that this was too long and that I was going to have to cut some more. Mr. L. helped with that, he went section by section with me and how I could improve my essay, with his help I’m sure that I will get a good grade because he gave me very helpful and useful tips. I was that I came because it helped me see what I needed to focus on while I was editing the transcripts and the recordings.

NPR Audio Essays
http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPlayer.html?action=1&t=1&islist=false&id=165896141&m=165896132
http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPlayer.html?action=1&t=1&islist=false&id=165897395&m=165897453

No comments:

Post a Comment