Thursday, December 6, 2012

Patsy Cline Extra Credit: "She's Got You"

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/76/Patsy_Cline-WSM_Studios_2.jpg


Patsy Cline Extra Credit
Song: 'She’s Got You' (1962)

I could have chosen from many great artists like Frank Sinatra, Elle Fitzgerald, John Lennon, Nat King Cole, and many more, but I decided on one of Patsy Cline’s songs because today felt like a Patsy Cline kind of day. I listen to a variety of genres of songs and it is usually older music because I can’t stand most of today’s music. Patsy Cline has a beautiful voice that makes everyone want to listen to what she has to say. All of her songs are wonderful, but for this last blog I chose, "She's Got You."

This long is not very long, but it immediately catches the listener’s ear and drags them in. It’s a sad love song. She is singing about a love that she used to have and now no longer has, but she remembers all of the things that they shared together and all of the things that he gave her. She is singing about all the things that she has left of him, while the new girl in the picture has the most important thing, him. This song is romantic, yet sad because she only has “memories” of what she used to have. I’m a hopeless romantic and this song gets to me all of the time. In my opinion, this part of the song is the most important, “I've got your memory, or has it got me? I really don't know, but I know it won't let me be.” The reason I say that this is the most important part of the song is that if one puts themselves in her shoes or in this case puts themselves in the songs situation, people will ask these kinds of questions about love and all the time they shared together and these questions and these memories haunt you until you are emotionally exhausted or finally do something about it. What does one do with the matters of a broken heart? They remember all of the good times that they had together and wish that they were still together and that’s why I think that this part of the song is important.

Patsy Cline has many great songs like “Crazy,” “Sweet Dreams,” and “I Fall to Pieces.” All of these are amazing songs and yes they are country, but not all country music is bad, plus it is a blend of country and pop, so it makes the songs more likable and enjoyable. I like this song because it has a catchy tune and always makes me want to sing along with it. I come from a very musical family. We play instruments and sing all the time. I caught the singing bug at a very young age and was introduced to a lot of good music because of my family. I know a lot of songs that most people never even heard of and I like that I was introduced to so many great artists and bands out there because without music I don't know where I would be now.



I've got your picture that you gave to me
And it's signed "with love," just like it used to be

The only thing different, the only thing new
I've got your picture, she's got you

I've got the records that we used to share
And they still sound the same as when you were here

The only thing different, the only thing new,
I've got the records, she's got you

I've got your memory, or has it got me?
I really don't know, but I know it won't let me be

I've got your class ring; that proved you cared
And it still looks the same as when you gave it dear

The only thing different, the only thing new
I've got these little things, she's got you

No comments:

Post a Comment